Rosie's Seafood Chowder
Rosie's award-winning seafood chowder. A simple, heart-warming meal adapted to the slow cooker to take that fall chill off. Made with fresh seafood from the Outer Banks.
- 3 carrots, peeled and diced
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 3 onions, chopped
- 3 potatoes, diced
- 1 qt. carton vegetable stock
- 13.7 oz. carton vegetable stock
- 1 pt. cream
- 1 lb. mussels
- 12 - 16 clams, in shells
- ½ lb. shrimp, peeled and de-tracted (That’s not a vein going down the back. It’s the digestive tract.)
- 1 lobster tail, meat removed
- ½ lb. mahi mahi, trimmed of any blood veins
- ½ lb. scallops
- 1 lb. snow crab legs, meat removed
- 1 lb. crab meat
- 1 cup dry sherry
- Kosher salt, freshly ground pepper, and nutmeg zest, to taste
- STEP 1. Place vegetables in slow cooker and cover with stock. Turn on high and leave for about two and a half hours, until the potatoes are tender. Add in the cream.
- STEP 2. This is the time when you need to pay attention. First, add the clams and the mussels, and cook for five minutes. Then include the shrimp, lobster, mahi mahi, and scallops, cut into even pieces. Cook for 10 minutes. Finally, add the snow crab legs and crab meat, and set the slow cooker on warm for five minutes. You just want to heat the crab through. Stir in the sherry. Season to taste with salt, pepper, and some nutmeg zest. Now turn off the slow cooker, and you’re ready to eat!
Outer Banks Restaurants https://www.outerbanksrestaurantguide.com/