Kale, Butternut Squash and Wheat Berry Salad
For a side dish, I’m picking kale and butternut squash from the garden and combining them with wheat berries for a healthy, earthy, sweet, and nutty treat. Top with crumbled bacon and serve on Parmesan crisps to counterbalance all that health and you have a lovely and hearty fall dish.
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled and cut into ½-inch dice
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil (I use blood orange infused oil.)
- 1 small bunch kale leaves, stemmed and leaves sliced crosswise ¼-inch wide
- 1 shallot, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Tbsp. minced fresh sage
- ½ cup Chardonnay or dry white wine
- ½ cup chopped parsley
- 1 cup toasted chopped walnuts
- 6 strips bacon, crumbled
- Parmesan crisps
- Lightly toast the wheat berries. When they start releasing a nutty aroma, remove from oven and let cool. Cover with cold water and let sit overnight.
- Heat oven to 400°.
- Step 1: On a rimmed baking sheet, toss the diced squash with a tablespoon of the olive oil and season with kosher salt and freshly ground pepper. Roast squash for about 20 minutes, or until tender. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Step 2: In a medium pan, cover the wheat berries with water and ½ tsp kosher salt. Bring to boil. Simmer over medium-low heat until tender – about 50 minutes.
- Step 3: Add kale to wheat berries and cover. Let stand until wilted, about 20 minutes. Drain and add berries and kale to the squash.
- Step 4: In a medium skillet, heat remaining oil. Add shallots and a pinch of kosher salt and cook over medium heat about 2 minutes. Add sage and cook for 1 minute, stirring. Add garlic and cook, stirring, for another minute. Add wine and simmer, until almost evaporated. Add mixture to salad and toss with chopped parsley and walnuts.
- Grate Parmesan cheese and use about two tablespoons for each round, forming and pressing into a circle on parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake at 400° about 5 minutes, until crisp and golden.
- Serve salad on a Parmesan crisp with bacon crumbled over top.
Outer Banks Restaurants https://www.outerbanksrestaurantguide.com/