The first wind-powered brewery in America, Outer Banks Brewing Station, is the one of the best restaurants on the Outer Banks of North Carolina. Since 2001, the OBBS mantra of “no maps on our taps” has translated into brewing well over 100 styles of beer – and counting. Try a sampler beer flight or a pint at their famous bar while watching the kids play in their awesome backyard. They also have 2-liter, refillable growlers, or 4-packs of 16 oz. cans of conditioned Lemongrass Wheat Ale for the beach. Wherever your palate leads you, let it start under the wind turbine at milepost 8.
Outer Banks Brewing Station restaurant and brewery began as a concept in 1992 while the founders, Eric Reece and Aubrey Davis were Peace Corps volunteers alongside Tina Mackenzie in Thailand. Aubrey had grown up spending summers at his grandparents’ place on the Outer Banks and felt it was the perfect place to start a brewpub. The Outer Banks Brewing station is now a staple in the OBX restaurant landscape.
Outer Banks Brewing Station – OUR BREWERY’S WIND TURBINE
- Manufacturer: Bergey Windpower, Norman, OK (www.bergey.com)
- Model: BWC Excel, Rotor Diameter 23ft, Self-Supported 80ft Lattice Tower
- Upwind 3 Blade System nominally rated at 10kw at a wind speed of 31mph
- Maximum Designed Wind Speed: 135mph
- The turbine has AUTOFURL an automatic storm protection system that begins furling when winds exceed 35mph. The hinged tail furls up to 89 degrees to provide overspeed control. The EXCEL has no shut-down wind speed. The turbine can be manually shut-down using a furling winch installed at the base of the tower.
- The turbine supplements the power we use here at the OBBS and saves us between $150 and $250 per month on our electric bill (depending on the month). We use 100% of the power the turbine generates. Net metering (or the selling of generated power back to NC Dominion Power) in NC is still not cost effective as Dominion charges us on average $ .11/kWh and pays us their avoided cost or approximately $.035/kWh for the same power!
- Turbine cost: approximately $50,000
- 30+ years of service and has a 10-year warranty.
- A 10 kW Bergey GridTek system will offset approximately 1.2 tons of air pollutants and 250 tons of greenhouse gases over its operating life.