Oysters with Country Ham & Gruyere
- 1 quart freshly shucked oysters
- 4 Tbsp. white wine
- 2 oz. Gruyere cheese, grated or sliced thin
- 1/8 – 1/4 lb. salty country ham
- Heat the oven to 375°.
- Using a mini-muffin tin, fill the bottom of each hollow with a generous amount of thinly sliced country ham. Top with a drained oyster.
- Sprinkle with a dash of white wine and a twist of cracked black pepper. If you like your oysters cooked a bit more, slide them under the broiler before you add the cheese.
- Once the lips start to curl and the wine begins to bubble, remove and top with Gruyere. Or, skip that step and just add cheese and return to the broiler until bubbly hot.
- Use a spoon to slide each gooey orb into tiny serving vessels. Remember to pull out your cute cocktail forks for this one, too.
- Garnish with a few fresh thyme or oregano leaves to vary your flavor profiles. Have fun and try different cheeses, too.
outer banks restaurants http://www.outerbanksrestaurantguide.com/